Monday, January 12, 2009

W

Julia at Sometimes Lucid has challenged me to name 10 favorite things that start with the letter "W." Well, you all know what the first one will be:

1. Wicked - yes, I've seen it six times. Given the opportunity (and funds), I'd see it again. The show's not perfect, but it's pretty darn close.

2. Wizard of Oz - I'm sure some of my love for Wicked has to do with The Wizard of Oz being my favorite movie when I was growing up.

3. Working - Sure, it's hard to balance working and motherhood, but I enjoy the challenges that work provides me. You know why? Because it's easier than motherhood! The duties are more clear-cut, and the people at my job anyway are just too great for words. I have no desire to take over the world through my work, but I enjoy what I do and I'm grateful for the opportunities I've been given here.

4. the Web - seriously, how did people do it before the Innernetz, as Dingo likes to say? I have a vague recollection of my life before the Web, and all I can think is, I was SO deprived!

5. the water - I'm most looking forward to watching the waves lap against the ship when I go in 11 days. While I can't go longer than 3 days in a row without seeing land, I loved being out on that vast ocean when I worked on a cruise ship. I loved listening to the water and being rocked to sleep.This is probably some indication of my still not being ready to leave the womb, and how immature I am, but I don't care. I still love it.

6. Whatever - I've written about this before, but for me, it's still a new experience to learn not to care about certain things. Things or people over which I have no control. I'm frankly proud of myself whenever I can let it go.

7. Words - I struggle with finding the right ones - and don't always succeed - but I love the power that words can have to inspire, to change the world. Yes, I really do believe that.

8. Wine - Either curled up on my sofa watching a good movie, or enjoyed with friends. Can't beat a good bottle of red.

9. The West Wing - yep. I'm still obsessed.

10. Warmth - I love being warm, I love the warmth of a fire, the warmth while cuddling with my girls and/or cat, and the warmth of friends.

If you'd like to play, let me know, and I'll pick a letter for you!

16 comments:

Julie@My5monkeys said...

oh I want to play

Anonymous said...

*sigh* Its anything but warm here in Colorado. I guess its a good thing you picked California as your place of residence. At least Wine has its own warming influence...tee hee hee.

BusyDad said...

Work IS easier than parenting. At least I know that I can handle anything work decides to throw at me. Fun list! Life before Web? I call it the dark ages.

Loth said...

I am rather impressed - I don't think I could come up with 10 things beginning with "w" never mind 10 things I like. After I get past "whipped cream" and "Wispas" I sort of get stuck.

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous job! ....and #( has 2 W's! clever girl!

I love the Wizard of Oz to...such happy memories....

Tara R. said...

I haven't had a chance to see Wicked, but I have read the book, and "Son of a Witch" and have "A Lion Among Men" in my reading queue.

I'm always looking for a fun meme... hit me with your best shot. I'd loved to play along.

won said...

I am so happy for you about the cruise!!! Enjoy that time as your own...

FreedomFirst said...

I'll play, on one condition: don't pick the letter G. I hate the letter G. Lol.

hugabug1 said...

Great list! Wizard of Oz is one of those movies that I simply have to watch at least once a year.

I want to play!

Mama Smurf said...

#s 1, 2, 6, & 8 would all be on my list too. Fun!

Anonymous said...

I'd would love to say I'll play, but my posting is so sporadic and I'm not sure of the last time I actually did a meme, so I'll pass.

I'm kind of commenting on two posts here, but HOW cool are those custom bikes for your girls? That's one thing I'd like to get for myself now that *Jacob* can ride w/o training wheels. Great exercise!

Gah! I had more to say, but it's 10:42 pm and my brain has gone into sleep mode.

Suzie said...

well what a wonderful word wonder

Anonymous said...

This is fun. I procrastinate a lot so I'm not sure WHEN I would get around to it. But if you pick a letter for me I'll do it....eventually.

Anonymous said...

My cruise was FANTASTIC...didn't want to come home...hope yours is the same for you...oooooo, can I play???

Anonymous said...

I wanna play. Maybe it will motor-vate me to write something. W is hard though... don't make it a hard letter!

Anonymous said...

My 'f' words are up :P