Thursday, February 5, 2009

Lesson of the Day: Appreciation

A theme seems to be arising for today. One has been going on a little longer than just today.

My company has recently offered severance packages to something like 1,000 of our employees. I think that's at a rate of close to 10% of our workforce. Naturally, I've been worrying. I've been trying not to, and realizing that there's not much I can do about it. What will happen will happen - but we all know how well I do with things that are beyond my control. I try to make jokes about it. A friend called the other day to see how I was, and my response was, "hey, I still have a job!" I'm grateful for the fact that my id has continued to work every time I pull in the parking lot. I've been nervous to even write about it, for fear it will jinx me. But I know I'm not alone in these worries. I hope that it doesn't come down to a jinx.

Anyway, all that to say that it's been making me crazy anytime anyone complains about their job that's left around here. Now that's not to say that I don't have my moments of bitching about certain people at work or anything, but about the actual job and the duties that come along with it? Bring 'em on! And thank you. So I don't have a lot of patience for people that don't have that attitude.

In the midst of a situation that dealt with that, I got a phone call from my mother. My father, who has been running marathons and upgraded to triathlons a few years ago, has been medically advised to stop due to knee trouble.

I hate working out. But a few weeks ago, I started weight training on the recommendation of a chiropractor to help with my back pain. I have always known that I lack upper body strength. I mean, I have none. I recently joined our fitness center at work, with the hopes of taking classes, but the schedule hasn't worked out. So the chiropractor gave me a great opportunity to start using my membership. The weight training hasn't been nearly as mind-numbing as I find treadmills or free weights or any other form of exercise outside of dance that I've tried. I'm starting off nice and easy.

I was going to go this morning. But I talked myself out of it. Too tired, still a little sore from Tuesday. I'll go tomorrow.

Now, after receiving the call that my dad can't do something that he LOVES to do, I'm feeling really guilty about not going this morning. Here I am, able-bodied, still young enough to do these things...(and narcissistic enough to make my dad's injury all about me, apparently)

But it did make me stop and put two and two together: the job fears and my dad's injury. Working out and working may not make my top 5 list of things I love to do. But man, I sure am grateful at this moment that I can do both!

16 comments:

Shiona said...

Way to put things in perspective. I hae recently started working out too, until this week. I have managed to talk my way out of it for the past couple of days. I will start tomorrow though.

Sorry to hear about your dad and that definitely is a bad attitude to have about your job at this point. Constantly complaining helps no one. I don't want to jinx anything either I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you on the job front.

Anonymous said...

Today, I was asked to give my supervisor a list of my responsibilities and percentage of time each takes. I then saw the human resources director go into his office (my boss's) with files. We've had upper management here a lot, too.

We've been *told* this is all a really great thing and goodness knows I have enough work to do, but there is that underlying tension and it is making me eat more and exercise less.

I decided an exercise boot camp is in order. From now until the 16th (when I have my teeth out), I am going to exercise every day, except for tomorrow because of a commitment, but I am going to do it because it helps sooo much with the tension and sress. I think once you find a routine, it will all fall into place.

Julie@My5monkeys said...

I can totally relate in some ways. I'm glad that hubby has a job and I know that exercise is great to get excess thoughts out of my head.

Kori said...

so yeah, about that exercise thing....but I completely get the rest of it. Here, where ANY job is thin on the ground, there are people who complain about their job or just get pissed and walk away from one. SO freaking what if you are "worth" $12.50 and hour but are only getting paid $9? Please, speare me. I mean spare me. Too lazy to backspace so I will just, you know, write more!

jenn said...

This is so true. Sure there are days I wish I didn't have to go to work, but then I remind myself that I'm so blessed to have a job. Especially right now.

Karen MEG said...

That's not narcissistic at all April, it's things like that, that make you think about your own life, is all. I do feel badly for your Dad, though.
Do exercise while you can.. I am so bummed about this ski injury, I put my gym membership on hold but I'm actually even more concerned that I did something permanent!

You've got a great attitude about work ... there are just too many complainers in this world.

Megkathleen said...

I always have to remind myself when the alarm goes off in the morning that I'm lucky to have a job. It's hard to remember sometimes.

Tara R. said...

Nicely said. I do love my job and the people I work with, but I am still worried about whether I'll have it next week.

KG said...

Good for you on all fronts! Think positive!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you have such a good perspective on working and working out. I agree with the working out part.

The job thing? Well, I'm a bit pissed that the fat cats have put us in such a position that we'll take crap from horrible bosses, work with intolerable people, and accept less than what our work is worth just to be told, "Be thankful you still have a job."

Anonymous said...

I can honestly say that I can relate! My dad was told to stop running as well due to the condition of his knees, so he talked to the Doc, got himself a knee-brace and a treadmill and now walks in speed-intervals instead. He feels good about be active.

PS....I think we all feel a little guilty sometimes when we know we can do something that someone else can't or when we have something that someone else needs....but remember that YOU need it too, and you work hard at maintaining it...

Suzie said...

Good luck that is all so stresful

L.A. Story said...

Wow, you make a great point with your comparison. We've had layoffs at my company, too, and it's really been soul-killing watching friends walk away from years of work. We should definitely appreciate what we have and what we can do.

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

I'm with you 100%. Every day I go to work I am thankful that I'm going to work. It's as simple as that.

Unknown said...

You are so right. It's amazing how many people take things like jobs and the ability to exercise for granted. I enjoyed this perspective very much :)

Jen said...

I think this is a time in our history where many, many people are finding profound gratitude for things previously seen as chores or "not good enough".

I also think that may end up being a very, very good thing in the long run.