Last year, for my 35th birthday, I posted 35 of my favorite musicals. This year (yep, it's my 36th birthday), I'll try to just do a generic 36 things about me list. Although, I make no promises considering when I tried to do a 100 post, I didn't get past 10!
1. I finally joined Twitter. 'Cuz I'm trendy like that.
2. I wasn't one of those girls/women who fantasized about being a mother. Funny how life changes you!
3. I'm hooked on American Idol, but I pretty much hate everyone on the show except Adam Lambert and Allison.
4. I still watch Brothers & Sisters even though the show always annoys me. I don't know if that's eternal optimism or just plain stupidity. Really, I think it's because I love Sally Field.
5. I'm still hooked on my West Wing reruns. I wonder how long this will last?
6. I finally saw What the #$*! Do We Know and was blown away by that movie. I think I want to see it again.
7. It's been almost a year since my promotion to paralegal, and I still mostly feel like I'm faking it. I've had some really good moments, and I've learned a lot, but I think I would totally be failing if it weren't for the great mentors that I have in my department.
8. I love my job. I love the people I work with. I can't believe that I've been here 5 1/2 years now and still love coming to work everyday. Or, at least don't hate it.
9. It's also the longest that I've worked at the same place. I can definitely see myself staying for as long as they'll have me.
10. I talk to myself incessantly. (Maybe that's why I love blogging?) I love the fact that most people walk around with Bluetooths in their ears so I look less conspicuous now.
11. I have a terrible long-term memory. I'm afraid I will forget all the beautiful moments with my girls, like last night in the car when they were going over Sylvia's scene for her talent show. Riley was helping her run lines. I was in heaven.
12. I still use words like heaven, God knows, etc., but just consider them part of the vernacular. I don't know if there's a God and I don't care.
13. I try to respect other people's religious beliefs, but I'm still very angry that those beliefs are keeping my friend from being able to marry the love of her life.
14. Which is ironic, because I don't believe in marriage anymore, but I still believe that we all should have the right to do what we want with our personal lives, so long as it doesn't hurt someone else.
15. No, I'm still not over Prop 8 passing.
16. I'm reading The Challenge of Being Single right now, and I was telling a friend, I could totally see me living at one of those communes of the '70's. My friend told me I have the hippie hair for it.
17. My life is full with my family and friends. I feel very lucky most of the time.
18. Which doesn't mean I don't get angry about my X, but I think I'm allowed. Screw it, I know I'm allowed.
19. I don't understand why my work pc doesn't keep the right time.
20. I love having my iTunes going in the background. 90% of the songs on there are from Broadway musicals.
21. The other 10% are Kelly Clarkson, David Cook, Alanis Morrisette, Manhattan Transfer, Elton John and U2.
22. Clearly, I haven't listened to regular music radio since the '90's.
23. I've never had my hair shorter than the length of my neck. It's my security blanket.
24. I had an actual security blanket when I was little. I still remember the feel of it.
25. One time, when I was probably about 8, I got lost trying to walk home. I was scared, but I also knew that if I just stayed put, I would eventually be found. So I passed the time by trying to find the crickets chirping. And eventually, I was found.
26. I guess I do remember some things from my past.
27. I pretty much only listen to NPR and cds in my car. I had Sirius, but I canceled it.
28. I made my first donation to NPR this year.
29. I know I don't think like a lot of people. Sometimes it's lonely, but most of the time, it just makes it that much more powerful when people do get me.
30. I totally wish I could afford a housekeeper. I hate it, I'm not that good at it, and it exhausts me.
31. These past couple of weeks, I feel tired all the time. And I'm tired of being tired.
32. What I don't get is, my life is easier now than it has been for most of my adult life. I live close to work and the girls' schools, I'm not going to school right now, we have more time at home, so why am I so exhausted all of the time?
33. Perhaps because I'm getting older?
34. I'm quite surprised that I've managed to come up with 34 things so far.
35. Only one more to go!
36. Thank you, all, for sticking with this and with me. I've said it before, I'll say it again: I'm so very grateful that each and every one of you - even lurkers - are part of my life now.
Now I have a year to come up with what to post on my next birthday!