Sunday, October 25, 2009

Riley's nine now


9 years ago today, I woke up to find my water breaking. Riley was born 5 1/2 weeks early and I actually missed most of the first day of her life while she was in the NICU with jaundice and I was recovering from the general anesthetic they gave me for the C-section because she was turned the wrong way.

I had the most awesome day care provider in the world that took Sylvia on vacation with her family while we recovered in the hospital for the first 4 days of her life. I would go down to the NICU every 2 hours to feed my girl.

She was the healthiest baby in the place, and ready to be discharged before I was, so we were lucky there.

Riley is the most emotionally healthy person I know. I remember after one episode of the X Chronicles, she asked to see the "feelings doctor" and did exactly what she wanted to do to deal with her anger. She asked for the feelings chart, pointed to everything she was feeling. She picked up one of the dolls, named it after her dad, played with it a bit and then threw it across the room. And then she told the therapist she was okay now.

She's a little sad today. Her dad hasn't called to wish her a happy birthday and she doesn't think he will, but she's decided to not think about him and enjoy her day.

She has a couple of friends that she talks to on the phone, and it's adorable to watch her face light up during these calls.

She loves schedules. She'll make my bed for me, and she'll arrange her desk just so. And then she'll open a package and throw the wrapping on the floor.

She'll take the backseat to her sister when she knows it's more important to Sylvia, but sometimes, she just has to have her own way.

She loves taking pictures. She loves the outdoors. She adores animals. She loves looking after younger children. She wants to be President so that she can legalize gay marriage on a federal level (but she also knows she might not get elected, so she's keeping that part of her platform a secret - shhhhh!).

She calls me her bestest friend, loves to snuggle with me, and has taken my breath away every day for the last nine years.

Happy birthday, Riley. Nobody loves you like I do.

15 comments:

Tara R. said...

Happy Birthday Riley! She sounds more mature at nine, than many of the adults I know. Hope you have a fantastic day!

Natalie said...

Happy Birthday Riley! That was so sweet April. This may or may not help, but my dad doesn't even know most years what day my birthday is on. That part of it could just be a guy thing.

MindyMom said...

Aw. Happy Birthday Riley. Hope she had a great day.

Kori said...

She should come visit us, because we have all the outdoors and animals she could want. We would take her camping and teach her to put a worm on a hook by herself and feed her goose jerky (which is actually quite tasty), and then she could go to the feelings doctor and talk about what a bunch of freaks we all are but that she likes us just fine anyway.

Happy birthday, Riley, and I hope you know your mom is the best mom in the world, and that she is my hero. I hope she always is yours, too.

Loth said...

Aw, happy birthday Riley! 9 is a great age (according to my 9 year old son!)

Cat said...

Happy birthday sweet girl!

Danielle said...

Happy Birthday Riley!

won said...

Happy Birthday to Riley!

Lifeofkaylen said...

Happy birthday to your "little" girl!!
What a beautiful introduction to her.
Sad about her dad - my son has the same type, forgets holidays, birthdays, never calls/writes, but then gets mad that my son doesn't call him. Some people...sigh....I have no words for parents like this.

Luckily, Riley has YOU, her bestest friend!!

bernthis said...

sounds like she has a great head on her shoulders. Happy Birthday Riley, your mom is amazing

Mama Smurf said...

She sounds more mature than many adults I know! She must have an amazing mother! =)

Laski said...

9. How in the world does that happen. He's 2. She's 3 months. Yet, I know that day will come.

Happy Birthday, sweet girl!

Samantha said...

Happy Birthday, a little late! I love how much you love her. She sounds perfect!

Anonymous said...

I just want to give her a big ol' hug! She sounds like such a great kid. I hope she read this post.

Shiona said...

Happy Birthday Riley!!Hope you had a great one!!