Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday (the 13th) Fragments



Check out Mrs. 4444 for more Friday Fragments.

***I went home for lunch 3 days this week, and probably today, too. I figure it's saved me approximately $20 - probably more. Plus, I LOVE it. I don't know why it took me over a year to take advantage of the fact that I live about 5 minutes from work.

***I changed my direct deposit so that $20 more (the money I'm saving on lunch) goes into my savings. (Don't let the "more" fool you. The money I've been depositing in there is for rent - I just use the savings account as a placeholder for it.) Now I have a whopping $60 in savings. Hey, you gotta start somewhere, right?

***The good people at ExpenseRegister have made an additional budget template designed for families. I'd emailed them some questions (after they'd found my previous mention of them on this blog), and voila! A new budget was born. I haven't played with it much yet, but hopefully I'll get a chance this weekend.

***The girls got to visit with their aunt last Friday night (X's sister) and had a fabulous time. I'm so glad that X's family is still a part of the girls' lives. It's hard because we don't live close to each other, but their aunt went out of her way to extend her trip and drive down here so that she could spend time with them. That meant a lot to all of us.

***I'm in love with Alice. I'm saving money and it's convenient. What more could a girl want?

***We're getting more and more excited about our trip to NYC for Xmas. We've lined up ice skating at Rockefeller Center on Xmas Eve and we're going to Radio City Music Hall on Xmas Day. Now, we just have to figure out our theatre schedule, and time with family and friends. Oh, and Xmas Dinner. Ideas welcome!

***I'm very much looking forward to a quiet weekend. Other than Sylvia's dance clinic on Sunday while Riley's at a bday party, the weekend is wide open. Phew!

16 comments:

Kori said...

I really have nothing especially useful to add here so will just say I love you!

Eve said...

I remember those days when I went home from work for lunch. I loved it too. There's nothing like 45 minutes of quiet time in your own comfortable area, with no one to interrupt you from relaxing!

Alice.com! I'd never heard of it, but just pooped over to take a peek. IMG - it looks fantastic and I'm going to head straight back to look further! Thanks for the tip!! :)

Mama Smurf said...

I suddenly have the urge to watch "Home Alone". Christmas in New York? That? Is awesome!

won said...

NYC and Christmas?? Oh my, how awesome!

As far as suggestions, Dylan's Candy Shop has truly been on my mind lately. Don't miss it, or you may regret it!

Hoping you have a great time, and a tad jealous.

Stacy Uncorked said...

Every little bit counts, and before you know it, you'll have a whole nest egg saved! ;)

I loved it when I worked 5 minutes from home - it's so much more relaxing to be able to enjoy some peace and quiet - and save money - that way. :)

Christmas in NY sounds exciting!! I'll be looking forward to reading all about it! :)

Happy FF! :)

Eternal Lizdom said...

I wish I wish I wish I lived close to work!! How fantastic! My husband is on the go for most of his day and he is frequently able to come home for lunch. I'm so jealous of him! I'd be less jealous and more appreciative if he would use that time to do dishes or get dinner started... hmmm...

And I've got you listed as an award recipient! And I'm glad you commented because I'm enjoying your blog!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Love the NYC for Xmas idea. Have fun!! Been there many times and it's always magical. My SIL and her family live there and love it!

Hallie

Tara R. said...

I'm excited about your NYC trip too. It sounds like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this - and how you are taking small steps that ADD UP BIG to give you some savings, even if that savings is to pay a bill. It's a (somehow comforting) reminder that many of us are looking at every place we spend any money for ways to spend less or none at all. Good ideas are everywhere! And $20 / week does add up.

NYC at Xmas should be a blast. Cold, but a blast! (All those art galleries and museums... they may not be on your agenda, but ooooo they'd be on mine!)

And by the way, though mseums charge admission, galleries do NOT. You can see some extraordinary work for free, if you plan a little, and if that's something you might enjoy.

BLW

Carolee Hollenback said...

NYC for Christmas? How cool!

Lifeofkaylen said...

$20/a month is a great start- It will grow fast! It sounds like you are on track with your finances.

My ex's family is more in my sons life than my ex is...and I am grateful that he has some connection, though in some ways, it is hard to accept that the family pretends that everything is fine...but it's not normal for a parent to ignore a child, so why would it be normal for a grandparent to pretend their child ignores their grandchild?

NYC sounds FUN!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see you when you get here! I know all the best places for hot chocolate.

Cyndy Bush said...

I used to live 5 minutes from work and had an hour and a half lunch break - loved it!
Thanks for visiting!

MindyMom said...

My Friday was so insane I missed this post (and everyone else's too). NYC sounds amazing! You will all have a blast and maybe with that $20/week you are saving you can blow it on something fun while you're there. Hope your weekend was good.

Cat said...

Christmas in NY sounds awesome!! And saving money is always good.

Mrs4444 said...

Your trip is going to be GREAT! I'm excited for you. Good job on the savings thing--it'll grow faster than you realize :)

I'm really glad for your girls; having an aunt is so special, especially when she goes out of her way for them.

Have a great weekend. Thanks for keeping a light on for me! :)