Sunday, June 20, 2010

Celebrating the real fathers

A very good friend told me earlier this week that he didn't think he deserved a Father's Day this year; that he hasn't been a very good father. I couldn't disagree with him more. No, he isn't perfect, nor am I privy to all that goes on in his house, but he certainly talks enough about parenting, about trying to do better, that even on his worst day, he's still pretty damn good.

We celebrate Father's Day with my parents, and I couldn't thank my dad enough in my lifetime. While we've certainly had our ups and downs, I have always known that he is and always will be there for me. I know his love for me and my sister and our children is endless. I know that his family is the most important thing to him. He ingrained in me a work ethic, a strong sense of responsibility, and the ability to find sarcasm in almost any situation!

Last year, we had two fathers incredibly involved in our PTA. One father is the PTA and Booster Club Treasurer, the other co-chaired our Book Fairs and other events, and both of them volunteered their time regularly to the school. Our Treasurer in particular impresses me because he gives of his time not just at school, but he is also heavily involved in local politics. And not just fun politics; he is working to improve our drought situation!

Of course, I wish I could include the girls' own father in this list of fathers worth celebrating (and the fact that it's a short list doesn't mean I don't know more; I'm just keeping it short). And I can think of so many single mom friends who wish that, too.

There are also men in our lives who aren't fathers, or the father of our children, but who still act in our children's best interest. Our favorite Principal comes to mine. My best friend K. My girls' uncles. There are a lot of men in our lives that care deeply about my girls, want the best for them, and would do anything for them.

I thank them all and wish them a happy Father's Day, in the truer sense of the word.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Debbie said...

Exactly my sentiments on this day - well said!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post April. And all your points are very very true.

The Bumbles said...

I think it is very nice that you including male figures who are not direct fathers in your appreciative words. The world needs more of them.

Cat said...

I always celebrate my brother on Father's day. No kids, just my boy, and he's been the best male role model ever.