Monday, June 28, 2010

Weekend Wrap-Up: Family Reunion

The fun has not stopped. If anything, summer is getting more intense. Last week, we had stuff on our agenda every weeknight but one, and a jam-packed weekend.

Monday night, Sylvia went to her very first community theatre audition. She had to sing, dance and act. She was nervous and excited all at once. My parents, thankfully, were available to watch Riley since I knew it would be a long night, and boring for those of us who weren't auditioning. I forgot my book, tore through 3 magazines, and bemoaned the poor service on my Bberry. And the lack of chairs with backs available. Sylvia felt like she did well, but at the same time, that she probably wasn't the best. Most importantly, as Riley had told her before we left, she had fun.

Tuesday night, I had my parents advisory meeting at the Club. As usual, we laughed a lot, had some fun, and also got some things accomplished. I'm so thrilled that the Program Director has lined up someone to talk to the girls about Mean Girls. We also have some fun events coming up for the families.

Wed. night, Sylvia got to go to the taping of "So You Think You Can Dance" and even got to be in the very first row! A friend who lives in another time zone alerted me that I'd be able to see her on TV, and sure enough, there she was!!

Thursday night was our only night at home, but it was still eventful because we found out that Sylvia got a call-back! Friday night, we had dinner with my uncle (on my dad's side) whom I haven't seen since I was in high school! Then, Sylvia and I left for her call-back. This time, I was totally prepared! I got out my chair that I'd used for Riley's soccer game to have a comfy seat, brought my book, my iPod, and had fresh Starbucks. I was SO ready for a long night. Of course, it only took about an hour or so.

When we got back to my parents' house, my mom had taken out the scrapbooks my grandmother had made, and my dad and his brother told the girls stories from their lives. The girls absolutely loved it, and were so happy to finally meet someone from my dad's side of the family.

Saturday, we were supposed to go to a friend's house to go swimming, but I started freaking out because I had no idea when I was going to get the laundry and grocery shopping done so we rescheduled, and I spent the day and night doing some much needed housework.

On Sunday, we drove down to my sister's and saw my cousins on my dad's side, and I can't even remember the last time I saw them. We're guessing it's been about 25 years. It was so great to spend time with everyone, and the kids all had a blast swimming together and doing twists & turns off the diving board. Everyone had a great time, and I'm so happy we were all able to get together like that. Especially, as someone mentioned, since it wasn't for a funeral.

So even though it was a crazy week, it was a really good week. This week should be slightly less crazy, and that's good, too!

5 comments:

MindyMom said...

Sounds like a great weekend. My daughter would be so jealous about the So You Think You Can Dance deal. She loves that show.

Tara R. said...

That is one fun-filled week!

I hope Sylvia gets a call-back on her audition. Fingers crossed!

Anonymous said...

You are one busy mama! I'm glad things went so well, and that they're slowing down for a bit this week!

Cat said...

Sounds fun but busy! Congrats to Sylvia on the call back!

Vinomom said...

Thats a lot of awesome stuff!

Very cool that Sylvia got a call-back. How exciting!

My grandma came in town last night and she brought a bunch of old pictures of her and her mother for me to have. So much fun to look at.