Monday, June 14, 2010

Weekend Wrap-Up of Theatre Weekend

Long-time readers will know of my love of Broadway and musicals, so I was happy to dub this past weekend Theatre Weekend. On Saturday night, we went to see Rent at Hollywood High with sweatpantsmom and her two daughters. We all loved the show, and I have to say, it far exceeded my expectations for a high school production! I really appreciated that they kept the integrity of the show intact by keeping all of its original content and the performances were for the most part really really good.

Prior to the show, I splurged a little and took the girls to Lucy's, a great Mexican restaurant with the most delicious salad dressing ever! I was thrilled that they both found favorite foods there, too.

Sunday, it was the Tony Awards! While it wasn't my favorite Tony's ever, I still enjoyed the show. It was very cool to see Chad Kimball, starring in Memphis and Tony nominee, as I'd seen him previously (with Alice Ripley, last year's Best Actress Tony winner) at a small theatre in Hollywood where his pipes practically blew off the roof! Too bad his mic was having trouble last night because he's a phenomenal singer. I found American Idiot the most compelling new musical, but I still didn't run to iTunes at any point during the show to buy anything.

Earlier in the week, I'd gotten this favorite text ever from Sylvia:

Sylvia: "You were right as always."
I texted back, "I'm SO keeping this!"

I've registered her for jazz and ballet through our local parks and rec program for the summer. She's really excited and I think it's a perfect next step in prepping for high school.

After the incident last weekend, I wondered if Sylvia might benefit from going to Alanon/Alateen meetings. I asked her about it, but she declined for now. She knows the option remains open to her if she changes her mind.

I had my first conversation with X in nearly a year last week. I tried to catch him up on all that's happened in the last year, but really, how can one accomplish that effectively? If he does see them next month, he'll start to get an idea of all that he's missed, but he'll never be able to get back that time he's lost with them.

I had a flashback of my days living with him. It was crazy how quickly I could remember what it was like to be that person. It has felt so far away for so long and frankly, I didn't like the reminder of what my life used to be like. I know that 98% of the time I am past it, but there remains a part of me that will never forget. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I do have to accept that it just is.

I loved loved loved the season finale of Glee, but at least I can lay off the iTunes purchases for a while!

6 comments:

MindyMom said...

Oh yes! You do need to keep that text and frame it! Lol. Great idea for Sylvia as well. If not now, it may be a good resource for her at some point.

Anonymous said...

I have always loved HS plays - I remember my high school did Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat my senior year and it was amazing. I regret not getting involved in Drama.

I love love loved the final episode of Glee too! I got Lady H two of their CD's for her birthday next week. She didn't ask for them so I hope she likes it! Worst case, at least I'll enjoy them.

The ex will never get back what he's lost, but if he's anything like how I think he is, he'll never truly appreciate how much he's lost either. I don't know if thats a blessing or a curse.

Danielle said...

I love that she texted you that! So cute.
I hope that seeing how much time he has lost out on in someway affects him deeply!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tara R. said...

If there is a way to do a screen capture of that text, it would be worth framing.