Friday, August 6, 2010

No rational basis

U.S. District Judge Vaughn said it all: "Proposition 8 fails to advance any rational basis in singling out gay men and lesbians for denial of a marriage license."

Here are a few ways you can support this decision for equal rights:

Donate to the Courage Campaign. This case is almost certain to go to the Supreme Court, a costly endeavor. It's gonna take money, and the other side is well-funded (by a lot of non-California residents, I might add). We can be well-funded by residents across the country, too!

Boycott Target. This one hurts. A lot. I know, I know! But look at it this way: we can support more local businesses, and/or we can save a lot of money.

Stand up for equality every day. This scene from Glee had me in tears:



This is how we change the world. We don't let people use slurs in front of us or our children. We accept people for who they are, and we stand with them. We do not, under any circumstances, tolerate injustice.

3 comments:

Tara R. said...

Maybe this court decision will spread, and a similar law proposition in Florida will be overturned.

Pippi said...

Would it help if I simply state I am opposed the idea of a marriage license at all? To the idea that anyone needs permission from the government to spend their lives together, or commit to each other, or have children together, or anything else the term "marriage" implies? This argument, IMO, has no business in a courtroom anyway. The real blasphemy of marriage lies in the government thinking they have any part in it.

April said...

S.K., I don't disagree with you. In my utopia, government would stay out of it completely. Given the world today, however, I think that equality is the best we can hope for!