Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Preamble to Putting it Together

I'm still processing, still operating on a minute by hour basis. I start the day with plans of what I'll get accomplished, but get caught up in trying to respond to the most immediate needs and requests. I think, just deal with this now, and then I won't have to worry about it. The "do it now" policy. But sometimes, the requests come in faster than I can deal with them and I find myself at the end of the day realizing I never got to my to-do list.

But I'm not beating myself over it. Being in this processing frame of mind means I'm taking all these things in, and figuring out how to change my routines, my operating procedures for the long term to maximize results. I am hoping that by really thinking about these things, then when I do start making changes, they will be easier to implement and stick with them.

Along with this process, it seems every day that the world is getting smaller. On this last week of performances, a cast member remembered that we'd worked together back when I was in high school! And a friend saw that I was FB friends with one of her friends. More and more, these different worlds of mine are finding their cohesive balance. And that gives me hope that I really can balance all of this.

Instead of thinking of all these things as different, as things that need to be juggled, I'm finding the connections within them.

I know, this is all a bit vague, but I'm hoping that this post will soon be followed up with more concrete answers!

3 comments:

BigLittleWolf said...

I like the ambiguities in this post. It allows me the space to put my own "spin" on it.

There are more connections than we realize. I think we train ourselves to see them with experience, and intention.

I love what you say here about starting the day with specific plans then getting caught up in the immediate. I think that's life with kids, and more so, single parent life with kids. It's also human nature, isn't it? If some of the items on the list are less than appealing?

That's something I'm working on. Trying to find the mix of (unpleasant) tasks I'd rather put off (yet feel so relieved when I don't) and the immediacy of the others, that generally have to do with my children. Because they are for and about them, somehow the satisfaction seems more palpable.

I'm trying to change that, too.

(How's all that for vague as well?)

Crystal Escobar said...

Oh wow, I just love your blog. Looks like we have a lot in common, my blog is about balance too :)
It's great to meet you!

Unknown said...

I like the "do it now" policy. I need to implement it a little more in my own life. Seems to be the only way things really get done.

And yes, totally vague post, lol. I'm looking forward to the follow up :)