Sunday, September 19, 2010

Weekend Wrap-Up: Information Overload

There is so much I want to say, but I can't focus my thoughts just yet.

I saw Race to Nowhere, and I strongly recommend this movie for anyone who cares about education. There was a Q & A after the screening with filmmaker, Vicki Abeles, who is committed to engaging in an education revolution. I'll definitely be writing more about it, both here and at Parentella.

I had my first Leadership class, and it was quite the eye-opener for me. I said recently that I didn't feel right about talking about how much I've accomplished, and realized it's because I'm ready to do more. I don't mean this moment; I still have a lot of things going on, but this year will be about formulating a plan for myself.

Sylvia's show has been going great! This Friday night, her fellow dancers from the Club came and Sylvia was absolutely gleeful! They loved the show, and were so proud of her for being a part of it. Some friends from my work also came, and had a good time as well. It was an exciting night.

I'm still in the midst of processing most of what happened last week. I thought I would be bursting to write this weekend, but mainly, I've just been exhausted. I'm really hoping that this coming week is a tad quieter to allow for some time of reflection.

Oh, one more thing!! This week is National Unmarried and Singles Week! Single Women Rule is hosting a blog crawl. The first post comes from Nicky Grist, Executive Director of Alternatives to Marriage Project. Why is there a National Unmarried and Singles Week? Bella DePaulo and Rachel Buddenburg explain at The Huffington Post.

2 comments:

jenn said...

That film looks very interesting. I'll have to watch it. It's crazy how much I'm learning, and how much my opinions are changing, just in the couple education classes I'm taking this semester. And I'm not even in the teaching program yet. I keep meaning to blog about everything, but I haven't had a chance yet.


The crazy thing is, it seems like they are trying to teach future teachers to educate and not just "school" kids. (At least at my college they are from what I've seen.) They're trying to teach us to be creative and help kids to do the same, but I can already see how that will change when you actually start working in the school system. When the most important thing is a test score at the end of the year and all you do is drill facts into kids heads so they will pass the test. Things do need to change.

Danielle said...

Here is to have a calm week of reflection. We want to know what you are bursting about!