Friday, October 15, 2010

FAB Fridays: Values and Goals

First an update from last week's goals: So I didn't declutter 15 minutes every day, but I did some, and as FlyLady herself says, I'm not going to try and catch up, but jump in where I am. Sylvia did do some of the laundry, and Riley does what I ask, but I have yet to set up official chores for them. Since Riley's going to her Science camp soon, it's better to wait until after she returns before I set those up, anyway.

Someone recently told me that our values are in our actions, not our statements. I thought about this and wrote about it in the realm of education both here and at Parentella. Now I'm starting to think about it in terms of me.

Part of why I didn't do some nights of decluttering is because I chose to instead snuggle with my girls, and tend to their needs. I'm okay with valuing time with my girls over housework. I'm also thinking about some things I do that are definite time-wasters, and some that may not be productive per se, but allow me the downtime I need to rejuvenate or relax. I'm trying to get rid of the total time-wasters that make me feel bad, but still hold onto the things I enjoy, like watching The Daily Show, reading a book, re-connecting with old friends on FB.

Through my actions, I can say with confidence that I value my family, my friends, my work and colleagues, music, and feeling a part of my community. Knowing that, my goals are to continue to enrich my role in these activities.

Family: For the most part, keep doing what I'm doing. I spend a lot of time with my girls and my parents, but I do need to carve out more time with my sister. She lives a couple of hours away, and our weekends have been so packed lately, we haven't been down there for quite some time. I need to make more time.

Friends: I'm doing better at checking in on my friends on FB, but every now and then, I have to pick up the phone. Maybe I can make it a point to call one friend a week just to let them know I'm thinking of them.


Work and colleagues: We're moving locations soon and there's a ton of de-cluttering I need to do in my office! I should spend the last 15 minutes of every day (as possible) working on that. And there are some colleagues that I talk to every 15 minutes practically, and others that I sometimes don't talk to for weeks! I should try and have a conversation with everyone at least once a week.

Music: I've been listening to more music at home lately, which helps me (a) declutter, (b) belt out songs I love, which makes me happy, and (c) appreciate all the money I've spent over the years amassing my collection!

Community: I've attended a few community events lately, and they have been wonderful experiences! I find that I always know more people than I expected, I laugh a lot, have great and thoughtful discussions, and feel connected to people. They've mostly been charity events, too, and it's wonderful to see so many come together to make life better for our children, our families, our pets, our land. Sometimes the world as portrayed by the media seems so cold, frightening, and disconnected. It's refreshing to get out there and get a much brighter picture!


Read more about F.A.B. Fridays at Wanna Be Balanced.

2 comments:

singlemama_cc said...

WoooHoooo! This is awesome, I love the list and the progress! Might have to make a list of my own....

Hope you have a great weekend!

Tara R. said...

I like the idea of 'planning' phone calls to friends. I need to do that in my own life.