Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sylvia is 13 today


My first born, my sweet, sensitive, passionate child. Again, not a complete listing of all of the things that make you special, but 13 qualities that I love about you.

  1. You are so talented. You are pure joy on a stage, in rehearsal.  I love that you have the chance to spread your wings, and you soar.
  2. You are so supportive of me, of your sister, your friends and loved ones. I love that you know just what to say when I'm feeling nervous or anxious about something.
  3. I am so proud of how you were able to keep up with everything at school, in rehearsal, in our social calendar.  You seem to thrive on being busy. A great quality that you will utilize well for the rest of your life!
  4. On that note, you help keep me sane when things get crazy. And things have been way crazy lately! Thanks for being part of the glue holding this family together. 
  5. You are so smart. You have proven time and again that when you're determined, you can accomplish anything. 
  6. You kill spiders for me!! If that's not love, I don't know what is.
  7. I love that you love musical theatre as much as I do! 
  8. You know yourself really well, and you are always striving to be better; to try new things, to do something that scares you.  Again, a really important quality that will make you unstoppable.
  9. You have grown so much in the past year; not just physically, but emotionally. You've learned something that took me until just a few years ago to learn: you can separate other people's actions (or inactions) towards you from what's truly about you and what's not. In short, you can accept people as they are. That's so impressive for a person of any age!
  10. You manage the difficult stuff with a healthy dose of humor. 
  11. I love when we hang out together. Whether it's watching a TV show, playing cards, listening to music, talking or whatever...I just love being with you. 
  12. You are so smart and, more importantly, thoughtful. You don't want to just pass a test, you want to understand it at its core.
  13. You accept you as you are. While you try to improve and explore new things, you never try to hide who you are. You just want to be the best you possible. 
You are a teenager now. I know that's supposed to mean that we'll no longer get along or talk to each other, and I'm supposed to be scared to death of these upcoming years. But really, I'm excited to be on this journey with you. You are most definitely on the right path to having a wonderful, fulfilling life, full of love, passion, laughter and happiness. I'm so proud to call you my daughter, and I love you with all of my heart. Happy birthday, Sylvia.

13 comments:

Tara R. said...

A teenager?! Wow, congrats and hope you all had a wonderful celebration.

I love this list, your pride and respect for your daughter shines through every word.

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Sylvia! And happy giving birth day mama! Hope you all have a wonderful weekend~
xoxooxo

Unknown said...

Happy 13th Birthday to your sweetheart! The entire list is beautiful, but number six is just plain awesome :)

Loth said...

Happy Birthday Sylvia! (I wish I had looked as cool as you when I was 13!)

L.A. Story said...

Happy Birthday to Sylvia! What an amazing time and so great of you to list all -- er, 13 -- of her most wonderful qualities. :) Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Ooh,the teenage years! The most difficult years of childhood. She sounds like she's on a great path already though.

BigLittleWolf said...

Happy birthday (to both of you)! And trust me... the teen years aren't as bad as some would have you believe. (Every stage has something to love. So enjoy it!)

Danielle said...

Happy Birthday a few days late! Geesh I am so far behind. I hope she had a wonderful Birthday!

Penelope said...

You've raised an amazing daughter! Kudos to you. :)

Pippi said...

Wow. Happy birthday to Sylvia, and good luck to you! I know your adventure will be wonderful.

Cat said...

Happy belated birthday!

Ilana said...

What a beautiful entry - she's lucky to have this written record.

Speaking of birthdays – here’s a great resource local to L.A. for “in-home” birthday party ideas for children: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/top-lists/10-%E2%80%9Cin-home%E2%80%9D-kid%E2%80%99s-birthday-party-ideas/ I have done the last on the list – I had Elise from We Adorn You (http://weadornyou.com/) to paint at the Halloween party thrown by my pre-teen twins. Everyone loved it and the photos make for beautiful memories. Elise is a professional with over a dozen years of experience, her work is amazingly high quality, she uses hypo-allergenic materials and she does individuals, groups, parties, and major events. Recommend!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post!!!

You're so much like me in this regard. I can always make a list of things that I like about people closest to me!

Your daughter's precious!