Friday, November 12, 2010

F.A.B. Fridays: Scheduling

So I had a few free hours (that originally I was supposed to be using for laundry, but since I didn't have enough quarters, they were now free). Couldn't decide whether to catch up on my Reader (did some of that), clean off my desk (did a little of that), clean the girls' room (and a little of that), or clean out my email (yep, a little of that, too). Of course, as those hours were coming to a close, I felt like I'd accomplished nothing.

I like to think of myself as a free spirit and hey, we do need to be flexible, but I think I'm finally starting to appreciate the idea of having a routine.

I took a baby step last week by organizing my weekly dinner menu. That worked out! So now it's time to start putting together a plan for my free time. Which sounds kind of oxymoronic, but it's worth trying.

Of course, there will still need to be wiggle room, and I absolutely will schedule in downtime, but my plan is to put together a schedule on Sunday for the week ahead, and then review it nightly (and yes, schedule the time to do that review). I'm not going to reprimand myself for not sticking to it in these early stages; instead, I will look at what's holding me back and try to adjust.

For more on FAB Fridays, visit WannaBeBalancedMom.

5 comments:

LunaNik said...

I desperately need a schedule! It really would help me tremendously but I can't seems to commit to one at this point. Maybe once the baby is a little older and more predictable because at two months old she's still erratic.

BigLittleWolf said...

I'm impressed with your organization! (I've given up - at least until Xmas.)

That "wiggle room" concept. Very important. Plan on it, then triple it, and you're covered. (I know, I know.)

:)

Anonymous said...

Hello lovely lady! You have an award on today's post! ;D

Lifeofkaylen said...

Keep us posted on how the scheduling goes! I feel like the only thing I am good about scheduling are:
Work
Dinner
Treadmill time
Shower

I really need to schedule in sleep, as I only am getting about 6.75 hours and I really need an extra hour or 90 minutes.

Crystal Escobar said...

Good for you April, I like that you schedule time to schedule and review :) You and I are so much a like. Also I liked what you said about not getting upset if you didn't stick with it, rather figuring out whats getting in the way. Love that!