Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Other People

Riley's 5th Grade Promotion was very, very nice. Riley looked so sweet, and the slideshow at the end was beautiful. I don't think I was geared up to get emotional, but even if I'd wanted to, the mood would have been shattered anyway. By other people.

There was a note in the invite to please leave strollers and balloon bouquets in the back of the auditorium. I appreciated that. I would've appreciated it even more had people paid attention. Instead a woman behind me tried to hold her balloons down, but they were too close to my hair for my comfort. And the sound...doesn't help that I have a thing against balloons anyway, I'm sure. Balloon bouquets were scattered throughout the auditorium.

I suppose I should just be grateful they weren't obstructing my view. Not to say my view wasn't obstructed sometimes. By parents standing to take photos or wave, choosing to be completely oblivious to other people who were trying to also take pics of their students from their seats, or simply trying to enjoy the moment not through a lens, but in real life!

Some families tried to prove how much their kid was loved by screaming the loudest. I'm all for making a little noise, letting your child hear you cheer them on...but there's no need to act like you're seeing Elvis rise up from the dead! And if you get this outrageous for elementary school promotion, just how high will the expectations be for middle school, high school, college? Some students may opt out of post-graduate degrees just to avoid the embarrassment!

In spite of the other people, it was a very nice ceremony, and I'm so proud of Riley.

Maybe I'd be more excited if I didn't know we're about to enter middle school again? Yikes.

4 comments:

jenn said...

I'm with you on this one. Shiloh's preschool graduation was last week and some of the other people were in the way and others were loud and annoying.

Tara R. said...

That's a pet peeve of mine too... people who think they are the only ones attending these celebrations, oblivious to how they interfere with other parents and family. I don't think it gets better as our children get older. I just attended my daughter's college graduation and the family behind us talked, loudly, through the entire ceremony.

Congrats to Riley. I hope you and your girls have a wonderful summer.

BigLittleWolf said...

Having just gone through this in the past 24 hours, I have to say - it continues on into high school, certainly. And it's the adults with the cat calls and woots that - while well-intentioned - may ruin things for the next few people who are trying to celebrate their children.

Oblivious, yes.

Cat said...

Funny how grown-ups can act so childish.