Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Odds and Ends

I'm trying to get back in the blogging world and the best way is just to do it, right? Nothing seems worthy of an entire post, so here's a hodgepodge.

  • I haven't talked about The Power of Negative Thinking in a while, but it still totally works for me! And Sylvia's starting to get it now, too. She hated this one project she'd done for one art class. As she was finishing it, she was SO frustrated, and did not want to go to class, sure that everyone would hate it. There was something else happening that day I can't remember that she wasn't looking forward to, so the whole way to school that morning, she was a grump. I told her, "look at it this way. At least you know today's going to suck! Too often, we think it's going to be a good day, and then it sucks, but you know that going in!" Sure enough, when I picked her up that day, she said the day hadn't been nearly as bad as she'd thought, no one hated her project as much as she thought they would, and she managed to get through the day unscathed. Sometimes, not having a terrible day can be just as good as a good day!
  • A while back, I took the girls to see Fiddler on the Roof, which they loved. What I really loved was watching this one boy across from us in the front row (it's a theatre-in-the-round setting). Before the show started, I saw him and he looked SO bummed to be there. He was trying to keep the bummed look going during the show, but he couldn't help himself. As Tevye danced in "If I Were a Rich Man," he was laughing. By the dream sequence, he was completely enthralled. I love watching people's perception of theatre change simply by experiencing it! 
  • Speaking of theatre and Sylvia, she said something about Sondheim, and I had to smile. I told her, "Just think, if you had another mother, you might not know who Sondheim is." Her reaction was one of horror, "not know who Sondheim is?!? I would HATE that!" Definitely a proud mama moment for me.
  • One day (another morning), Sylvia was in another bad mood and was taking it out on me. Yelling all kinds of lovely things at me. I kept my mouth shut (for the most part), and as she got out of the car, she said, "you're such a..." and slammed the car door shut. I decided not to find out what the end of that sentence would be. Later, she texted me an apology and when we were all in the car on the way home, she mentioned that she'd hit her elbow when she slammed the car door. Riley dryly remarked, "Karma!" Sylvia responded, "I know, right?" I just smiled. (Her elbow's fine now.)

1 comment:

Tara R. said...

The Karma shot was kinda funny, but glad her elbow wasn't seriously hurt. Loved Sylvia's reaction to not knowing Sondheim too.