I completely forgot until my sweet friend Nancy just wished me a Happy Single Parents Day ...today is Single Parent Appreciation Day!
Because I wasn't prepared, I'm re-running a post from Single Parents Day 2009. Here's a list of reasons why I'm grateful to be a single parent:
1. I am no longer in an unhealthy relationship, which means my children are not growing up in a house full of distrust and harsh words.
2. I spent the first years of my daughters' lives so wrapped up in dealing with my husband, that I was not a good mother to my children. I am grateful that I have now spent more years of their lives being a better mother to them than I was when I was married.
3. My checkbook is my own. I no longer have fear when I hit the ATM since I know exactly how much I have, and how much I've spent.
4. I have sole legal custody. I am grateful that I don't have to fight with my ex about what is best for the girls.
5. I am no longer waiting for someone to show up and co-parent my girls. I have accepted the responsibility.
6. I have control of the remote. And I don't have to worry about the toilet seat.
7. I am grateful for my parents' help. I am grateful that this has brought us closer together.
8. I am grateful that single parenthood brought me back to Southern California. After living in several cities and a few different states, I know I am home.
9. As much as I bitch about having a deadbeat ex, I am grateful for my job and my ability to provide my children all of the necessities, and some extra.
10. I am grateful for the friendships I have made and those that have reached out to help and support not only me, but my daughters.
Okay, so this life ain't easy. There's not a day that goes by that doesn't present some new challenge. And sometimes I fail. But I'm here. I get up every day, and my first thought is about my children, and nearly everything I do - even the things I do for me - is for their benefit in the long run. Yep, I'd much rather be me, the single parent who is at least striving to meet the challenges, than my deadbeat who can't even show up for them.
Single parents, take a moment today to pat yourselves on the back. And if you're a friend of a single parent, take a moment to wish them well today .