Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Seeing Life after 70

I haven't read this post in years, yet to read it again now is eerily appropriate.

Just recently, I realized that I will be celebrating 10 years with this company next year (knock on wood, cross fingers and toes and all that). My previous record for long-term employment was around 14 months. In fact, I remember that was HR's biggest concern about hiring me; there was no longevity in my employment history.

I am incredibly lucky to work for a company that has a pension plan in addition to a 401(k). It is actually possible for me to see myself being able to afford to live past 70 now.

Having said that, I still don't fear death. Maybe when I'm on the other side of 40, I'll feel differently, but it's still not something that scares me.

Which, again, is not to say that I want to go anytime soon. I look forward to being able to enjoy my girls the way I'm now enjoying my parents. I certainly would hate to leave them without having some idea of what their futures hold. I still love the idea of getting together with them for Sunday brunches, laughing and drinking mimosas. I look forward to that day and as many days like that as possible.

Still, death itself doesn't frighten me. I don't worry about the afterlife. There are far too many theories out there for me to know what it holds, if anything.

I'm most inclined to think of the Witch from Into the Woods when I think about death: "When you're dead, you're dead." I'm okay with that.

And I'm also okay with contemplating a future.


*Amazon links include my affiliate code, which generates a small fee for me.

No comments: