Monday, September 17, 2012

National Unmarried and Singles Week 2012

It's National Unmarried and Singles Week! Our annual quest to inform the nation that there are indeed alternatives to married and/or partnered life.

I decided to go back to last year's posts, the first of which ended up being a personal fave.

In it, I mentioned that I usually make sure to tell the girls, "if you have kids" or "if you get married." Just a few days ago, we were talking about something, where they both ended up saying, "if I have kids." It seems my message has been received.

I was having dinner with some friends, where one of them admitted that she really hopes her daughters get married and have kids and love their lives as much as she loved hers. I responded that anything that could make her daughters that happy would probably make her happy. That's her "happy," and that's great. She's got a great husband, two wonderful girls and she does indeed love her life. I think all she really wants is for her kids to love their lives, too.

And I think that's what it comes down to; understanding and appreciating that what is working for you isn't necessarily what works for other people.

Of course, it's always hard to see things out of our schemas;  I'll never understand how anyone can like mustard! But hey, it's a valid preference. 

We need National Unmarried and Singles Week to build awareness that remaining single is also a valid preference.

So this week, I'll be sharing more about how and why it works for me.


No comments: