Monday, November 19, 2012

Dancing Through Life

Okay, so I stole that title from a song in Wicked, but this post is inspired by another song, "Marilyn Monroe" from the musical Blood Brothers. The chorus repeats the word "dancing," but in different contexts as she talks about different stages of her life.

She starts off as a young girl, dancing with her beau. The next chorus is about dancing at her wedding. She has kids, her husband leaves her, and there's "no more dancing."

I totally remember feeling that way. Nearly a decade later, I feel like I'm dancing through life.

Our schedule is totally insane. I spend at least 3 hours in the car every day, it takes creative planning just to do laundry and get to the grocery store every week, and every day, there's at least one mini-crisis, whether work-related, kid-related, or home-related. And I don't think I've ever been happier.

It's not always a graceful dance, granted, but it's consistently filled with doing things I love with people I love and finding the humor whenever possible. And if I don't necessarily love every activity, I know I'm doing it for the right reasons and that makes it worthwhile.

10 years ago, still married and living in the coldest climate I've ever experienced, I'd almost resigned myself to merely existing. 9 years ago, I was adjusting to single motherhood and still thought it'd never be good again.

Now, it's got a good beat and I can dance to it.

1 comment:

Missy June said...

I love this! And like you have to schedule time for laundry & groceries ... oh to have the luxury of a delivery service!