Thursday, October 31, 2013

My Dear Sylvia on her Sweet Sixteen

In no particular order, here are 16 things I love about you, my 16-year-old daughter:
  1. Your smile. When you are happy, you can light up the whole world. 
  2. Your love of musical theatre. I love being able to talk to you about musicals and share them with you. 
  3. Your thoughtfulness. You have a strong desire to be there for others. 
  4. You are charming with adults. I love that all my friends love you! 
  5. Your sense of humor. You get me, and you make me laugh, too.
  6. Watching you on stage. You shine up there! 
  7. Your passion. You put your whole heart and soul in the things that you love, and you strive to learn everything you can. 
  8. You still tell me you love me every single day. 
  9. Your artistry; in dance, in theatre, in painting, drawing, etc. You are a natural born artist. 
  10. Your strong sense of family. Not just blood family, but friends that are like family to us. You hold those bonds close to your heart. 
  11. You're a born teacher. I love watching you teach, kids and adults. You know when to push, and when to be supportive. 
  12. Your fashion sense! Not only does it look great, you are great at finding good prices!
  13. Your ability to work with what you have. I think I say this in every birthday post, but that's how impressed I am by your creativity! You accept if we either don't have the time or money to purchase something, and you've been having Tim Gunn-worthy "make it work" moments from your kindergarten projects to now!
  14. You are willing to work hard for the things you really want to achieve. 
  15. Your ability to adjust. I know you've had a lot of experience with this, and you haven't always been happy about that, but it's a really great quality that will serve you well. 
  16. Your willingness to try new things. This year alone, in addition to your academics, you're taking classes in film, fashion, dance and art. I think that's awesome!
I love you with all my heart, Sylvia. Happy sweet sixteen! 

No comments: