Friday, October 8, 2010

F.A.B. Fridays


Fab Fridays is an invention by a new bloggy friend with a fellow yearn for balance over at Wanna Be Balanced. She's doing a 52-week Plan, but I'm jumping in late, and rearranging the plan according to my needs.

In my quest to put it all together, it's time to face those things where I've needed improvement for a very long time.

Now I know why I've been avoiding them: for so long it was just about getting through the day, and sometimes just getting through the day seemed impossible! For the most part, though, the girls and I have a routine, we're getting along, and leading a fairly drama-free life (which is also why I'm finding it harder to post lately!).

Well, now it's time to improve upon those routines. Now it's time to tackle the stuff that I've been avoiding. Most of it, you'll see, involves the domestic side of me which, admittedly, is not very evolved!

I need to get better at de-cluttering. Granted, it was a little easier to do when we were moving every year, but now that we've been living in the same place for over two years, that stuff is starting to pile up! So I'm going to get serious about those FlyLady routines again, starting with de-cluttering 15 minutes a day.

I also need to be a better enforcer when it comes to giving the girls chores. Sylvia was getting really good about doing laundry, but then when she was doing the play, I started doing it all of the time again. I need to get better about sharing the laundry love :)I need to give Riley more chores around the house, too. Especially now that she only has homework on Mondays and Wednesdays, she has more time on the weeknights to do things.

I need to set goals for my future. I've never been good at answering questions like, "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" It was easy to say I just have to get through today when we were still getting on our feet, or I had built-in goals like finishing college. Now that those are done, it's time to think of my life in the long term.

But I'll start one week, one Friday, at a time!

6 comments:

Crystal Escobar said...

Hey April, I'm glad to have you join in on FAB Fridays.
I love all your goals you plan to work on like getting your kids to help out around the house more. I need to do the same :)

BigLittleWolf said...

Here's what I'd like to know about that de-cluttering item (insert teeth grinding here_____________) - once you de-clutter and clean, how in the heck do you keep kids from REcluttering and messing?

Therein lies my woeful story. Months of this summer devoted to digging out and sifting through. And we have 90% backslide here. HELP!!!

(So I want to hear your secret - if you figure this out - and the answer is anything other than "wait until they've both left for college.")

;)

April said...

So funny that you said that, BLW. It's part of why I'm trying this now. FlyLady says that 15 minutes a day should do the trick, but I'm not convinced yet, either. The only way to prove it wrong, however, is to disprove it!

BigLittleWolf said...

Ha! I don't want to prove it wrong - I want it to be possible - and I just want to know what I'm doing wrong! (Maybe I need to ship my kids off to military school? Nope. Too late. Rope off part of the house??)

Debbie said...

LOVE FlyLady even though I do not follow it much anymore. The best thing for me is getting rid of stuff. Throwing stuff out. Donating stuff. Less stuff = less clutter!

jenn said...

I'm trying to declutter also. I like FlyLady, but I'm terrible about following the plan long-term. (Probably part of the reason I still have clutter.)